Enjoy the lovely weather with the kids and have some fun making tasty treats and healthy meals together. The kids will learn important life skills and enjoy trying new food too! Wonder Kids Kids Kitchen, meals for Kids, Food fun for kids and recipes for kids.
It's Summer 2018 and it is HOT! With the summer holidays nearly upon us it is great to have a whole host of different fun things you can do from home that don't cost the earth. This is where Wonder Kids excels and the kitchen is no exception. We now have hundreds of great recipes and ideas that you can use to get the kids in the kitchen and start to enjoy being creative and trying new things to eat. I love cooking and try to go and learn different ideas and techniques every year.
This is all about getting the kids in the kitchen, keeping them amused, spending time together that they will remember as they get older and getting them excited about trying new food.
I have highlighted below some great examples of things to try over the Summer but just check out the gallery at the bottom of the page for everything else our Kids Kitchen has to offer.
Pear and Forest Crumble
It's time to get prepared for this one, It's delicious. All the fruit needed is going to come into season over the next few weeks. Imagine finding a local woods where you can pick your own blackberries with the kids and then come back and make this treat with them. For the full recipe just click on the picture.
- 3 firm but ripe pears (we used Conference variety)
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 star anise
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 strips of lemon zest (pared with a vegetable peeler) and a squeeze of lemon juice
- 100g frozen forest or red fruits, defrosted
Yes you read that title correctly, I had never heard of a freakshake before doing the research for this but they are a "thing", google them and you will find some incredible creations. This is what I meant about enjoying them sparingly.
- 2 pints of Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 and half cups of candy floss plus more for garnish
- half a cup of cold milk, more may need to be added
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
- melted white chocolate
How to Make
To rim the glass with sprinkles, first dip the glass into melted white chocolate and then roll into sprinkles. Place the glasses in the freezer for the rim to set.
In a blender combine the milk, candy floss, vanilla extract and ice cream. Blend until smooth and serve immediately topped with candy floss garnish.
Thats almost it for this update but check out more great updates by using the button below or you can use the search bar at the top of the page to find some other great ideas. I have also included some of our other recent posts below too. Before we leave I have created a gallery of some really inspiring fairy themed cakes to get you thinking.
Rainbow Ice Lollies
Before we get started you will need some sort of ice lolly mould. These come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. I chose this classic design but you can use rocket ship moulds, cylindrical and everything in-between.
TO ASSEMBLE THE RAINBOW POPSICLES
- Carefully layer each color smoothie in a popsicle mold in rainbow order.
- Layering the smoothies in the mold is easy. Use a spoon or tablespoon to scoop the smoothie mixture into the mold. It’s natural for the layers to blend a bit, but I have noticed that spooning the smoothies into the mold versus pouring the smoothie in from a glass leaves better results.
- Once the molds are filled, add the sticks and freeze the popsicles overnight.
- To get the popsicles to release from the mold, fill your kitchen sink with room temperature water. Place the mold in the water, making sure the water does not go above the top of the mold.
- Allow the mold to sit in the water for a few seconds.
- Begin to wiggle a popsicle free. If it feels tough, allow them to set in the water a few more seconds.
- Once all of the popsicles are removed from the mold, enjoy or wrap the extras in plastic wrap and return to the freezer.
For the full list of ingredients and how to make each layer just click on the picture. These are a super tasty treat for the hot weather but the kids don't need to know how healthy they are too. I have included below everything that is available in the Kids Kitchen, if you see something you like the look of just click on it for more details.