It's here already, February seems to have flown by for me and this is the last of our Zootopia ideas but I have a great craft and a great sweet treat for you too. The school half term has just finished, make sure you sign up to our FREE email's just to the right of the page and join the thousands of parents that love our ideas. I send you some really great ideas every school holiday that are easy and inexpensive to try at home.
Carrot Pen Craft
This came about after our foray into the glitter pencils from the Trolls film, I love these super simple ideas that the kids will love to play with for hours. they will be writing, drawing and talking into it just like Officer Judy does.
- printer paper
- orange duct tape
- green duct tape
- craft knife
- cutting mat
- Cut paper lengthwise, into triangular pieces. The widest end should be shorter than the length of the pen that you are covering.
- Tape a triangle of paper onto the pen and wrap it tightly around, working your way towards the end of the pen. Tape the end in place.
- Tape another triangle of paper onto the pen, a little further up. Wrap it tightly around the pen, securing the end when finished. This should be building up a carrot shape around the pen. Continue attaching paper triangles until you have the desired shape.
4. Cut narrow strips of the orange duct tape.
5. Begin wrapping it tightly onto the pen starting at the bottom (near the writing end). Don't worry if you can't cover all of the paper because of the angle the tape wraps around the pen
6. Continue wrapping the pen in strips of duct tape until all of the paper is covered and you are happy with the coverage of the pen.
7. Cut a square of duct tape and use it to cover the end of the pen.
8. Cut two pieces of green duct tape. Fold them in half lengthwise, sticky sides together. Cut into 3 strips, leaving them all attached at one end.
9. Attach the carrot leaves to the end of the pen using a piece of orange duct tape. Then wrap narrow pieces of orange duct tape tightly around the base of the leaves to give it more of a carrot appearance.
Ok these are a little bit of a cheat, but the kids will love them and they are easy to make. It's a great fun way to get the kids in the kitchen too. If you want more great ideas for kids the you should check out our Kids Kitchen.
Here is what you'll need -
- 4 Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 oz Orange Candy Melts
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut each treat in half lengthwise, then cut each of them in half diagonally.
- Take each piece and insert a toothpick in the flat end and place on prepared sheet.
- Place in freezer for to minutes.
- Melt orange candy by microwaving for 30 seconds, stirring and repeating until melted and smooth.
- Pick up each by toothpick and either dip or spoon melted candy over each “carrot” to cover completely.
- Return to sheet.
- Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Now I have found versions of this that add "edible easter grass" into the hole where the toothpick was but I haven't been able to find such a thing in the UK. So if you can find some sort of chewy green candy. Maybe Starburst flattened out with a roller pin and then cut into thin strips. Or you can just use some green card to add the green bits (make sure the kids know not to eat them). Personally I think the carrots are just fine without the greenery added at all.
- Take each carrot and carefully remove toothpick. Use the toothpick to enlarge the hole big enough to insert the grass.
Thats it for this week and for our Zootopia ideas. Before you leave check out the party cups opposite. I found them in my research for this month and I love them. They would make for some great pictures at a party, you could even make masks with them too. Next week we will have a brand new theme to explore so make sure you come back next Tuesday. If you want to find out what were are doing before everyone else does then make sure you sign up to the e-mail newsletter found at the top right of the page.